Saturday, May 10, 2008

Beauty lighting with the lovely Lenka


There are many forms of fashion and beauty lighting in photography. Photographers working in this segment of the market are often known for their lighting style and the motivation is there to create a new look that is their own. While I was teaching at Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai last week, I had the chance to demonstrate beauty lighting for my Studio Lighting workshop with Lenka, a well known local model. It makes my job as the photographer much easier when working with pro models because they know how to work with the photographer and the camera .
I had maybe 5 minutes with her to demonstrate lighting before handing over the set to the students. Beauty lighting also is a style that often is very frontal with more highlights than shadows around the face. This flatter light approach softens skin and hides blemishes creating a glowing skin quality, an approach favored by clients and photographers alike. In this image I used the over and under light approach of a key/fill. I then opened the image in Photoshop and used Eddie Tapp's Dream Glow technique, which is a fabulous skin softening technique. More fashion and beauty techniques, as well as advertising, industrial, and product photography are included in my online 1 Year Commercial Photography training program starting in September.

Take My Class: Portrait Photography

Related Posts: Portrait Professional Software, Photographing Simple Business Portraits,

6 comments:

shiv said...

wonderful shot..! what attachment is on the main light? a beauty dish or a softbox?

Charlie Borland said...

Hi Shiv-

The main light was a small soft box. I poredfer beauty dishes but none were provided for the workshop. Although I am quite happy with the light quality this box produced.

Best,
Charlie

djn1 said...

Hi Charlie,

it's good to see you blogging, and thanks for the link to the Dream Glow technique. I've used a similar approach - blurring a duplicate layer and setting the blend mode to soft light - but didn't think to just apply the technique to the red channel.

Rockysal said...

Charlie, I took two lighting courses from you at BetterPhoto.com several years ago, I now shoot in my studio and sometimes a wedding. I really like this shot of Lenka, yesterday I shot a couple graduation pics of a couple of young ladies and they came out real nice.

shiv said...

thanks for the reply charlie..! i'm loving this blog,there is lots of nice information,...
i would love it if you could stop by and let me know what you think of some of my photographs,even though i'm still an amateur,do leave a comment so i know you were there ;-)
www.shivahuja.com/photography

shiv said...

thanks for the reply charlie..! i'm loving this blog,there is lots of nice information,...
i would love it if you could stop by and let me know what you think of some of my photographs,even though i'm still an amateur,do leave a comment so i know you were there ;-)
www.shivahuja.com/photography