Monday, May 19, 2008

Wireless Flash Photography


I was sitting in a bar recently with new friend David Hobby and others from the Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai where we were all leading workshops a few weeks ago. We were discussing the usual: photography, business, technique, and all while taste testing the local 'focusing solutions'. I had been playing with my new Nikon Coolpix P5100 when I handed David my camera to shoot this picture. It was a bowl that was on the table for whatever reason, and he had turned it over and placed a SB800 flash inside, capturing this lovely portrait of me.


Flash photography is really fun! There are so many things you can do and like anything in photography, experimenting is the key. Here David placed the SB800 flash under the bowl and used Pocket Wizards to fire the SB800.

Experiment: place a flash behind a rock, inside a window that you are shooting from outside, inside a tent, or on a light stand to shoot a portrait. There are plenty of resources on the net to learn about wireless flash. I teach an online class: Electronic Flash: The Mystery Revealed at PPSOP and we touch on wireless flash. If wireless is a passion of yours, check out David's site Strobist. This is I am sure the largest online community and resource dedicated to wireless flash photography.

Here is my best selling stock photo. A tent with a flash in it and triggered wirelessly. I love shooting this way.

Another image from Grand Staircase-Escalante NM, Utah, where I teach a workshop each year. Here I placed the flash in the crack of some rocks and and used a orange lighting gel (Rosco) to color the light and then played in Photoshop with it.

Your imagination is the limit.

Play hard!

No comments: