Monday, February 2, 2009

Interior Photography and Photoshop





Here is an example of needing Photoshop to balance color in an architectural interior. The assignment was shooting interior designs. In this shot we are shooting a row of office spaces to show the furnishings. When I do this i ask the client how far down they want to see because the further down the more distortion in the image and the harder it might be to straighten in Photoshop.

The client did not want to see that far down so this wide angle shows a lot of ceiling. We added strobes that were color corrected to match the ambient lights and place them only to open up darker areas. Right in front on the right side was dark with shadow so we have a large light box on a floor stand to brighten it. In the back and on the left is a small orange panel that also needed brightening so there is a small strobe hidden back there to brighten that area up. Next we go into Photoshop. The first thing I do is and compositing of windows or lights or any parts from other images. There none needed here. So I open the lens correction filter and adjust the distortion. Next I crop out the ceiling excess. Now the image would be done if it was not for the off color rear wall at the windows. The left side is pretty neutral but not the right side, so I use the color picker to sample the left color on that white wall and make note.

I add an empty layer and fill it with the color, then use CTRL-I to invert that color which is now blue/magenta in tone. I set the blending mode for that layer to color, add a mask and fill it with black. Then with a soft white brush set at 5 pixels, I slowly paint the right side rear wall until its color matches the color on the left. The last step was a dodge layer to balance tonality between left and right sides and I was done.

Take My Class: Architecture Photography

No comments: