Monday, March 2, 2009

Digging Through the Archives: The Mountain Man Rendevous


Twenty some year ago I photographed a modern mountain man rendezvous for a magazine story. I cant even remember the magazine but it may have been the AAA magazine or Farmers Insurance or something like that. I have been having fun occasionally going through my old stock and assignment files and looking for images that could be considered timeless, meaning that they might still have a current appeal in the market.

I have been scanning some of these and then applying more current looks or effects in Photoshop. This image is of Crow Killer, a modern day mountain man at a rendezvous in Oregon. I photographed him and a bunch of others during multiple events I shot for the assignment. I scanned the image on my Nikon Coolscan and then opened it in Photoshop. I have a plugin called Redynamix that creates a HDR like look to the images. It is fun to play and cheap, like $16 and you get it at Mediachance. The problem is that it works only in 8 bit and that has definite drawbacks. Noise comes in very quickly if you are pushing hard on the sliders.

I worked this over a fair amount with the sliders, then rendered it and added a High Pass to it, tweaked the levels and bent a curve a little to add contrast. I then posted it on my new website http://www.charlieborland.com/ among other people and portrait images.


Take My Class: Portrait Photography, The Business Outdoor & Nature Photography

Related Posts;

The Lomography Effect

1 comment:

Poppa-D said...

Great shot. I am a Phoenix commercial photographer and want to say you have nailed this on two counts. First, the image is definitely timeless. Second, the treatment is very contemporary and nothing about the final product says '20 years old'. Great job then and now.